Sunday, January 9, 2011

Book Review- These Things Hidden

I read These Things Hidden by Heather Gudenkauf for a Star Book Tour review.

From Goodreads:

Allison Glenn tried to hide what happened that night...and failed. The consequence? Five years in prison. Now she's free. But secrets have a way of keeping you caged...When Allison is sent to prison for a heinous crime, she leaves behind her reputation as Linden Falls' golden girl forever. Her parents deny the existence of their once-perfect child. Her former friends exult in her downfall. Her sister, Brynn, faces the whispered rumours every day in the hallways of their small Iowa high school. It's Brynn - shy, quiet Brynn - who carries the burden of what really happened that night. All she wants is to forget Allison and the past that haunts her. But then Allison is released, and is more determined than ever to speak with her sister. Now their legacy of secrets is focused on one little boy. And if the truth is revealed, the consequences will be unimaginable for the adoptive mother who loves him, the girl who tried to protect him and the two sisters who hold the key to all that is hidden.

This book seemed so mysterious and that's what immediately grabbed my attention and made me want to read it.  And it kept my attention throughout the whole book!

This book reminded me a lot of books by Jodi Picoult.  It is about a topic that is moral in nature and has to do with issues in todays society.  And there were also some twists and turns in the book.

I can't really write a review without giving away anything so to read more, and read spoilers, highlight the words below.

For a while I couldn't figure out what the crime that Allison had committed was.  And then once I found that out, the surprises kept on coming!  And I'm not sure I really predicted any of them, except that I figured Brynn was involved somehow.  The only thing I had a problem with is, the whole twin thing.  Its so hard for me to accpet that some women don't know they are pregnant and that those around them can't figure it out.  Especially a girl who is skinny and active.  The way pregnant women walk and carry themselves completely changes.  But even if a girl does hide that she's pregnant and doesn't gain that much weight, I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that she could hide being pregnant with TWINS!  She would completely show!  There is no way to hide that!  I mean, I know that it makes for a good plot and all, but its so unrealistic.

That being said, I really enjoyed it!  I have The Weight of Silence by this author in my TBR pile and I really look forward to reading it!

I gave the book a rating of 4/5.

These Things Hidden will be released on January 18, 2011.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2011 A to Z Challenge: G
 2011 100+ Reading Challenge: 3
2011 ARC Reading Challenge: 3

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Star Book Tours.

1 comment:

  1. Darn, now I really want to read more. I'm going to search for the booktrailer. Do you know if there's one?

    ReplyDelete