Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Book Review- Falling Under

I just finished reading Falling Under by Gwen Hayes for an Around the World Tour.

From Goodreads:

Theia Alderson has always led a sheltered life in the small California town of Serendipity Falls. But when a devastatingly handsome boy appears in the halls of her school, Theia knows she's seen Haden before- not around town, but in her dreams.

As the Haden of both the night and the day beckons her closer one moment and pushes her away the next, the only thing Theia knows for sure is that the incredible pull she feels towards him is stronger than her fear.

And when she discovers what Haden truly is, Theia's not sure if she wants to resist him, even if the cost is her soul.
 
Hmm...this was another book that I'm not too sure how I feel about it.  On the one hand, it was intriguing and I wanted to know what was going to happen next.  On the other hand, something annoyed me about it. I can't really put my finger on what it was.  Maybe it was how Haden was so mean to Theia sometimes or maybe it was the Under part which was kinda gruesome.  I dunno.
 
That being said, there was a nice little twist sorta near the end that I definitely didn't see coming.  It was interesting. 
 
The cast of characters was fun.  I really liked Theia's two best friends, Donny and Ame.  I have a friend who is exactly like Donny, down to the sarcasm, being, um, a little free with her choices, and her willingness to stand up for her friends.  And Ame just seemed too cute.  And I really liked Gabe.  Such a nice guy, for a sneetch!  Mike, though, blah--boooring.  Although that's how he was supposed to be!  And I can just picture Varnie, the straight--drag queen psychic, in my head! 
 
While I'm not sure how I feel about the book overall, I think this is supposed to be a series, and I will definitely be picking up the next one to read.
 
I gave this book a rating of 3.5/5.
 
This book fulfills items in the following challenges:

2011 100+ Reading Challenge: 34
2011 ARC Reading Challenge: 29
2011 Debut Author Challenge: 11
What's in a Name? 4 Challenge: Travel or Movement
2011 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 26

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

1 comment:

  1. I'm only 100 pages into Falling Under and I'm not at that point yet where I'm hooked. The characters are fun, the plot is intriguing and the chemistry between Theia and Haden is hot! But the writing style is kinda throwing me off. It just doesn't suck me in and I find myself stumbling through the pages. I'm ganna continue with it though!

    ReplyDelete