Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Book Review- The Gathering

I just finished reading The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong for an Around the World Tour.

From Goodreads:

Strange things are happening in Maya's tiny Vancouver Island town. First, her friend Serena, the captain of the swim team, drowns mysteriously in the middle of a calm lake. Then, one year later, mountain lions are spotted rather frequently around Maya's home—and her reactions to them are somewhat . . . unexpected. Her best friend, Daniel, has also been experiencing unexplainable premonitions about certain people and situations.

It doesn't help that the new bad boy in town, Rafe, has a dangerous secret, and he's interested in one special part of Maya's anatomy—her paw-print birthmark.

This book was a nice change in that I enjoyed it!  I think I was in a reading rut and just couldn't seem to read a book that I really enjoyed until this one.

That being said, I do have to say that for the most part, this book is pretty predictable.  I knew Maya's secret pretty much from the beginning.  As well as Rafe's.  But I'm not sure just how Rafe's secret is tied to Maya's.  Hmm.  And I"m not sure how their little community plays into it just yet, but I'm sure it does somehow.  And Daniel...sometimes I felt like he had feelings for Maya, and other times he just seemed like a big brother.

There were so many unanswered questions.  But in a good way!  In a way that makes it so you can't wait to get yours hand on the sequel.  And I can't wait to read the next book, The Calling.  Hopefully it will answer a bunch of questions that I have!

I gave this book a rating of 4/5.

The Gathering will be released on April 12, 2011.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2011 A to Z Challenge: A
2011 100+ Reading Challenge: 11
2011 ARC Reading Challenge: 10
2011 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 9

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds good and I'm glad you liked it and it got you out of your rut. I don't mind predictable if it's an enjoyable story.

    Congrats on your Fairy Tale wedding in 3 months, 3 weeks and 5 days! That's wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard a lot of great things about Kelley Armstrong and I have The Sumonning and The Awakening in my To Be Read Pile !! Thanks for your review !!

    ReplyDelete