Sunday, February 13, 2011

Book Review- Wake Unto Me

I just finished reading Wake Unto Me by Lisa Cach for an Around the World Book Tour.

From Goodreads:

A haunted castle, a handsome young man dead for four hundred years, one heck of a scary portrait of a witch, and a treasure hunt -- not to mention a princess for a roommate! -- all await 15 year old American girl Caitlyn Monahan when she earns a scholarship to a French boarding school.


There are secrets behind the stone walls of Chateau de la Fortune, buried for centuries along with the mystery of who killed Raphael, the charming ghost who visits Caitlyn at night. But as Caitlyn unearths the history of the castle, nothing scares her as badly as the secret she learns about herself, and the reason she was chosen to come to the Fortune School.


And nothing breaks her heart as badly as falling in love with a dead guy.
 
Ehh.  This was just another "okay" book for me.  The book had some mystery/ghostliness to it.  But it was also sort of historical.  And I don't get into historical books at all.  Going back into the past just doesn't do it for me.  So I only really enjoyed part of the book.  That doesn't mean that I thought that it was a bad book, just that it didn't really spark my interest.
 
That being said, I didn't enjoy the characters.  I liked Caitlyn, Amalia, Naomi, and Raphael.  Although I do have to say that I don't really get how Caitlyn fell in love with Raphael.  She saw in a dream once, and BAM, knew he was the guy for her?  Huh?  Anyways, I really liked the three girls.  Caitlyn and Naomi seemed like such normal girls.  And Amalia didn't act like a princess at all.  And from what I read about Raphael, he seemed like a nice enough guy.
 
If you like ghost stories and you like historical fiction, give this one a try.  You might like it better than I did.
 
I gave this book a rating of 3/5.
 
Wake Unto Me will be released on March 31, 2011.
 
This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2011 A to Z Challenge: C
2011 100+ Reading Challenge: 10
2011 ARC Reading Challenge: 9
2011 Debut Author Challenge: 2
2011 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 8 
 
*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

3 comments:

  1. I just got accepted to this book on a tour. I am hoping I like it, but I have a feeling a may not. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I see you are reading The Gathering (lucky duck) I can't wait to read it but I will probably have to wait until it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review. I haven't seen this book yet. I'll poke around to see what others think.

    ReplyDelete