Monday, November 28, 2011

Book Review- The Scorpio Races

I finished reading The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater for an Around the World ARC Tour very early this morning.

From Goodreads:

It happens at the start of every November: the Scorpio Races. Riders attempt to keep hold of their water horses long enough to make it to the finish line. Some riders live. Others die.

At age nineteen, Sean Kendrick is the returning champion. He is a young man of few words, and if he has any fears, he keeps them buried deep, where no one else can see them.

Puck Connolly is different. She never meant to ride in the Scorpio Races. But fate hasn’t given her much of a chance. So she enters the competition — the first girl ever to do so. She is in no way prepared for what is going to happen.

Bah!  This book was so hard for me to get into.  It did get a little better at the very, very end, but not enough for me to change my overall opinion.  And I so liked the Wolves of Mercy Falls series too!  I had high hopes for this one, but man!  were they dashed!

First, the book was just too gory for me.  Yes, I know the premise is of these dangerous water horses.  But there was too much senseless killing and blood everywhere.

And while that is a kind of action, I guess, I felt like the book lacked the kind of action that keeps my attention.  It just felt so sllooww to me.  I didn't really care about what was happening.

Now, that's not to say that I didn't like the characters, because I did.  While the plot was horrible to me, the characters were enjoyable.  I liked Puck's relentlessness (is that a word?)  I liked that she was trying to save her family and wouldn't let anyone keep her down.  And I liked Sean.  He seemed like a good ole boy with a good heart.

But unfortunately, that wasn't enough to keep me liking the book. 

I gave the book a rating of 3/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2011 100+ Reading Challenge: 110
2011 ARC Reading Challenge: 89
2011 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 89

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the honest review on Scorpio Races. I loved Shiver and thought Linger and Forever were good...but something stopped me from dashing out to get this one. Think I'll wait for my library to get it in stock.

    ReplyDelete