Saturday, May 5, 2012

Book Review- Such a Rush

I finished reading Such a Rush by Jennifer Echols for an Around the World ARC Tour last Sunday night.

From Goodreads:

A sexy and poignant romantic tale of a young daredevil pilot caught between two brothers.

High school senior Leah Jones loves nothing more than flying. While she’s in the air, it’s easy to forget life with her absentee mother at the low-rent end of a South Carolina beach town. When her flight instructor, Mr. Hall, hires her to fly for his banner advertising business, she sees it as her ticket out of the trailer park. And when he dies suddenly, she’s afraid her flying career is gone forever.

But Mr. Hall’s teenage sons, golden boy Alec and adrenaline junkie Grayson, are determined to keep the banner planes flying. Though Leah has crushed on Grayson for years, she’s leery of getting involved in what now seems like a doomed business — until Grayson betrays her by digging up her most damning secret. Holding it over her head, he forces her to fly for secret reasons of his own, reasons involving Alec. Now Leah finds herself drawn into a battle between brothers — and the consequences could be deadly.


I really liked the main topic of this story--flying.  My dad had a pilot's license when I was very little.  In fact, one of my first memories is climbing from the back seat of a Cessna my dad was fliying into the front seat because I was getting air sick.  And I've always loved flying--its my favorite way to travel (although ask me after my 15 hour plane trip to Asia this summer and I might have changed my mind).  So reading all about the airplanes and flying fascinated me.

But I didn't like any of the characters--at all.  Maybe its just because I couldn't identify with them, but I don't think so.  Yes, Leah came from a hard life and background but she did not have to portray herself like a "whore" (this word was thrown around so many times in the book) even if she wasn't one.  If you want to be taken seriously, then you have to act like it and not dress they way that you don't want to perceived as.  That's just the way it is.  Not that that gave the students any right to be cruel to her.  Bullying is not acceptable at all.  And Leah claimed that Molly was her best friend but she seemed so self-centered and used Leah.  It made me sad that Leah knew it but didn't care since she wanted a friend so badly.  As for the boys, Alec was okay.  Nothing bad, nothing great about him.  But Grayson--why would Leah have a crush on someone who insulted her and treated her so poorly??  I don't care what he went through--that didn't give him the right to say the things he did to Leah.  Alec went through it too and he never became cruel.  It just infuriated me that Leah could get so mad at how he treated her but then forgave him 5 seconds later.

So I was really undecided about my overall feelings for this book.  Love for the topic and dislike for the characters.  I guess you should read it to make your own decision.

I gave this book a rating of 3/5.

Such a Rush will be released on July 10, 2012.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2012 Reading Challenge 150+: 37
2012 ARC Reading Challenge: 32
2012 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 34
Completely Contemp Challenge 2012: 2012-6
2012 Standalone Reading Challenge: 8

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment