Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Book Review- Lucid

I just finished reading Lucid by Adrienne Stoltz and Ron Bass for an Around the World ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

What if you could dream your way into a different life? What if you could choose to live that life forever?

Sloane and Maggie have never met. Sloane is a straight-A student with a big and loving family. Maggie lives a glamorously independent life as an up-and-coming actress in New York. The two girls couldn't be more different--except for one thing. They share a secret that they can't tell a soul. At night, they dream that they're each other.

The deeper they're pulled into the promise of their own lives, the more their worlds begin to blur dangerously together. Before long, Sloane and Maggie can no longer tell which life is real and which is just a dream. They realize that eventually they will have to choose one life to wake up to, or risk spiraling into insanity. But that means giving up one world, one love, and one self, forever.

This is a dazzling debut that will steal readers' hearts.


Wow.  After sititng here reading the ending, my mind is circling round and round trying to figure out just what happened.  I mean, I'm pretty sure I got who the real person was at the end, but getting there was just weird. 

I liked both girls.  I liked reading about Maggie's glamourous-ish life but also felt so sorry for her.  Her mother who acted more like a sister instead of a parent.  Her father who died too soon.  And the responsibility of taking care of a younger sister who she was crazy about.  And I liked Sloane.  I liked who she was as a person and wanted her to be happy.  She seemed so normal, with the loving family yet slight teenage angst towards her mom.

I knew that it would turn out that one girl was the real one, but there was also this part of me that was just waiting for the book to turn into some sci/fi story.  Luckily, it did not.  But the ending completely threw me for a loop.  The last couple of chapters were just so random and both girls' thoughts were thrown together so it was hard to get who was thinking and saying what.  And I didn't particularly enjoy that.  In fact, I really enjoyed the book up until that point.  And then it just lost my interest.  It was too much.  I bet a lot of readers will love this ending but it just wasn't my cup of tea.  Oh well.

I gave this book a rating of 3/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2012 Reading Challenge 150+: 83
2012 ARC Reading Challenge: 69
2012 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 72
2012 Debut Author Challenge: 21
2012 Standalone Reading Challenge: 18

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment