Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Book Reivew- Pretty Girl-13

I just finished reading Pretty Girl-13 by Liz Coley for and Around the World ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

Reminiscent of the Elizabeth Smart case, Pretty Girl-13 is a disturbing and powerful psychological mystery about a girl who must piece together the story of her kidnapping and captivity.

Angie Chapman was thirteen years old when she ventured into the woods alone on a Girl Scouts camping trip. Now she's returned home…only to find that it's three years later and she's sixteen-or at least that's what everyone tells her.

What happened to the past three years of her life?

Angie doesn't know.

But there are people who do—people who could tell Angie every detail of her forgotten time, if only they weren't locked inside her mind. With a tremendous amount of courage, Angie embarks on a journey to discover the fragments of her personality, otherwise known as her "alters." As she unearths more and more about her past, she discovers a terrifying secret and must decide: When you remember things you wish you could forget, do you destroy the parts of yourself that are responsible?

Liz Coley's alarming and fascinating psychological mystery is a disturbing-and ultimately empowering-page-turner about accepting our whole selves, and the healing power of courage, hope, and love.


When I first started this book, it was just okay.  The topic interested me but I didn't really like the main character or the writing style.  I thought it would be another book I finished just because I can't stop reading books in the middle.  But the book surprised me and and I ended up enjoying it.

I thought the topic of the multiple personalities brought on by tragedy was so interesting. Dissociative Identitiy Disorder..I think I had heard of it before or read a book about it before but didn't really remember.  I found it really interesting to read about how these personalities helped to protect Angie while she was kidnapped.

There were a few twists and turns in the story but I saw them coming before they were spelled out.  I think maybe what I liked about the book was that it wasn't completely dreary.  Yes, the horrible thing happened but Angie went to therapy and was cooperative and wanted to get better.  I know in real life, some victims aren't ready to return to normal life and will never completely heal from that type of tragedy.  But I liked the idea of the hope in this story.

This book surprised me and makes me glad that I'm the type of person that won't stop reading a book even when I really want to put it down.

I gave this book a 4/5.

Pretty Girl-13 will be released on March 19, 2013.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2013 150+ Reading Challenge: 12
2013 ARC Reading Challenge: 8
2013 Debut Author Challenge: 4
2013 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 10
2013 Standalone Reading Challenge: 1

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment