Sunday, August 23, 2009

Book Review-Fade

I just finished reading Fade by Lisa McMann.

From the back cover:

For Janie and Cabel, real life is getting tougher than the dreams. They're just trying to carve out a little (secret) time together, but no such luck. Disturbing things are happening at Fieldridge High, yet nobody's talking. When Janie taps into a classmate's violent nightmares, the case finally breaks open--but nothing goes as planned. Not even close. Janie's in way over her head and Cabe's shocking behavior has grave consequences for them both.

Worse yet, Janie learns the truth about herself and her ability--and it's bleak. Seriously, brutally bleak. Not only is her fate as a Dream Catcher sealed, but what's to come is way darker than she'd even feared.


I had a really hard time getting into this book at first. This book is a sequel to Wake. Some sequels go into too much detail from the previous book, but I felt like this one didn't refresh my memory as much as I liked. I felt kinda confused at the beginning. And the way the book is written didn't capture my attention as much as I would have liked either. It seemed choppy.

As for the character, Janie is just okay for me. I don't really get any warmth from her and I don't feel bad for her. I do however really like Cabel. He's troubled and dark but you can see just how much he loves Janie. He seems to really take care of her, even though no one is really taking care of him.

The topic matter in the story is dark. It makes me wonder how often teachers are getting their students to sleep with them and it sickens me to think about it. Even though the story was just okay for me, I look forward to reading the next book in the series, Gone, which comes out in February 2010.

I gave this book a rating of 3/5.

This book fullfills items in the following challenge:
Paranormal 999 Challenge: Psychics/Sensitives

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I found the topic a little heavy. But Janie and Cabel handle themselves very well.

    I'm really looking forward to Gone. I have a feeling it's going to be bittersweet. :(

    ReplyDelete