Sunday, June 5, 2011

Book Review- Priceless

I just finished reading Priceless by Nicole Richie.

From Goodreads:

Meet Charlotte Williams… Rich, gorgeous, blonde and a talented singer, she has everything going for her. Spoiled and indulged, her life has always revolved around fashion, gossip, partying and men. When Charlotte’s father – her only family since her mother’s tragic death years ago – is arrested on fraud charges, her glittering world shatters around her. Alone and penniless, she must make her own way for the very first time. Harassed by paparazzi and the outraged victims of her father’s crimes, Charlotte flees to New Orleans to escape the scandal. But what happens when a Park Avenue Princess is forced to fend for herself? How will she adapt to the Big Easy’s bohemian lifestyle? And in the face of anonymous death threats, can she keep herself out of danger? From the stylish avenues of Manhattan and dark clubs of the French Quarter to the bright lights of Los Angeles, Nicole Richie’s scintillating tale shows that the very life you run from is the one that won’t let you hide.

When I was offered the chance to read Priceless, I accepted, but my expectations weren't really all that high.  This is the first novel I've read from a celebrity (that's fiction anyways) and I thought that it wouldn't be good.  But I was surprisingly, and pleasantly, wrong!  Now, there's nothing extraordinary about the book.  But it definitely kept my interest and I enjoyed it!
Reading the summary of the book, I just knew that I would hate Charlotte.  And just the first couple of pages proved me right!  But then things turned around.  And I felt myself feeling sorry for her and I actually started to like her.  I found that she wasn't such a spoiled brat and actually had a real personality and heart.  And I really liked Kat, a girl who Charlotte meets in New Orleans.  In fact, I think a whole book could be written about her, and I would definitely pick it up.

The thing I didn't like about the book was how people treated Charlotte after her father was in jail.  I can't imagine people being that violent towards her and saying what they did, just because of what crime her father committed.  Sure, I get that the people would be angry, but I think how it was portrayed in the story was a little over the top.

Overall, a light, easy read and a nice surprise of a novel!

I gave this book a rating of 3.5/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2011 A to Z Challenge: R
2011 100+ Reading Challenge: 43


*FTC Disclosure: I recieved this book from Cristina of Simon & Schuster and Atria Publicity for free for an honest review.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds good and I would have never considered picking it up - thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete