Sunday, March 25, 2012

Book Review- Hemlock

I finished reading Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock today for an Around the World ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

Mackenzie and Amy were best friends. Until Amy was brutally murdered.

Since then, Mac’s life has been turned upside down. She is being haunted by Amy in her dreams, and an extremist group called the Trackers has come to Mac’s hometown of Hemlock to hunt down Amy’s killer: A white werewolf.

Lupine syndrome—also known as the werewolf virus—is on the rise across the country. Many of the infected try to hide their symptoms, but bloodlust is not easy to control.

Wanting desperately to put an end to her nightmares, Mac decides to investigate Amy’s murder herself. She discovers secrets lurking in the shadows of Hemlock, secrets about Amy’s boyfriend, Jason, her good pal Kyle, and especially her late best friend. Mac is thrown into a maelstrom of violence and betrayal that puts her life at risk.

Kathleen Peacock’s thrilling novel is the first in the Hemlock trilogy, a spellbinding urban fantasy series filled with provocative questions about prejudice, trust, lies, and love.

This book had me pretty intrigued.  The whole idea of a werewolf virus being spread was a pretty new one (not sure if I've read a plot like that before). 

I liked Mac.  She was a take-charge girl and didn't just stand back and let the boys do everything.  I didn't like the way that she was okay with Kyle wanting to be with her, then not, then wanting to be with her again, then not, etc!  I mean, I get the reasoning, but still!  Although I did really like Kyle.  Except for the indecisiveness, he seemed like a great guy.  Jason on the other hand--I didn't get any good things from him.  He just seemed like a jerk. 

There were lots of twists and turns. And I can usually figure out the mystery at least just before we read about it, but not in this case. I had no clue who the actual murderer of Amy was. It was a complete shock! 

Hemlock will be released on May 8, 2012.

I gave this book a rating of 4/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2012 Reading Challenge 150+: 27
2012 ARC Reading Challenge: 24
2012 Debut Author Challenge: 8
2012 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 24

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment