Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Book Review- Elemental

I just finished reading Elemental by Emily White for an Around the World ARC tour.

From Goodreads:

Just because Ella can burn someone to the ground with her mind doesn't mean she should.

But she wants to.

For ten years—ever since she was a small child—Ella has been held prisoner. Now that she has escaped, she needs answers.

Who is she? Why was she taken? And who is the boy with the beautiful green eyes who haunts her memories?

Is Ella the prophesied Destructor… or will she be the one who's destroyed?

After reading the summary, I thought this book would be paranormal in nature so I signed up to read it.  But it turned out to be sci-fi with religious undertones so I really didn't enjoy it.  I need to stay away from sci-fi books.

There were too many different species (or was it religions?  I couldn't figure it out) and worlds/planets for me to really grasp anything.  I got confused reading it a lot, and that's not what I want to happen with a book.

I didn't like Ella.  She seemed weak to me with nothing really strong about her.  I get that she was held captive for ten years, but come on.  She broke down and fainted with everything.  And Cailen--cool name.  But not a male character I cared about.  I didn't really get all his hot and coldness.  Neither of these characters were likeable or sympathetic to me. 

There was a lot of action in the book, a little of it pretty graphic.  That's fine with me, but I need some character story too.  I dunno.  This book just didn't do anything for me (although the star rating on Goodreads is on the higher end).

I gave this book a rating of 2/5.

Elemental will be released on May 1, 2012.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2012 Reading Challenge 150+: 34
2012 ARC Reading Challenge: 29
2012 Debut Author Challenge: 10
2012 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 31

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment