Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Book Review- Fractured Light

I finished reading Fractured Light by Rachel McClellan for a Teen Book Scene Tour.

From Goodreads:

Llona Reese is used to living on the run. After the Vykens killed her parents, she knew they would eventually come for her too. But she never felt ready to face them---until now. Defying the Auran Council and everything she's been taught, Llona must learn to use her power over light as a weapon if she wants to survive.


Fractured Light started off pretty rough for me.  I think the premise of the story was pretty  good but it was the writing at the beginning and the characters that turned me off.
 
Llona annoyed me.  She was selfish and cold and dramatic.  And some of the details of her thoughts were just random (when she first bumps into Christian, they're on the bleachers and she almost falls but he saves her by wrapping her arms around her and so she thinks he's hot and reminds her of a Navy Seal.  I don't know many teenage girls who would first jump to the thought of a high school guy being a Navy Seal.  It just struck me as weird).  And then Christian.  He supposed to be this strong guy protecting Llona but he seemed kinda weak to me.  I never really read any scenes that led me to believe that he actually could protect her.  Then there's Matt...I thought there was something up with him that would be important to the paranormal part of the story, but there wasn't.  He was nice enough but there was something just strange enough about him that I thought there was more going on.  I did like May though!  I liked that she was her own person but fit into every clique and was so nice!
 
That being said, the book did get better towards the end.  Once the action started, I was drawn in and wanted to know what was going to happen next.  Yes, I did guess who the bad guy was right away, but that was okay.  The sequel of the book seems like it will take place mostly at a school for girls who who have special powers like Llona.  I seem to always really like books that take place at colleges or boarding schools so I'll probably still give this one a try.
 
I gave this book a rating of 3/5.
 
This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2012 Reading Challenge 150+: 30
2012 Debut Author Challenge: 9
2012 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 27

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Teen Book Scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment