Thursday, March 3, 2011

Book Review- Born at Midnight

I finished reading Born at Midnight by C.C. Hunter a couple of nights ago for an Around the World Tour.

From Goodreads:

Don’t miss this spectacular new series that will steal your heart and haunt your dreams, Welcome to Shadow Falls camp, nestled deep in the woods of a town called Fallen…

One night Kylie Galen finds herself at the wrong party, with the wrong people, and it changes her life forever. Her mother ships her off to Shadow Falls—a camp for troubled teens, and within hours of arriving, it becomes painfully clear that her fellow campers aren’t just “troubled.” Here at Shadow Falls, vampires, werewolves, shapshifters, witches and fairies train side by side—learning to harness their powers, control their magic and live in the normal world.

Kylie’s never felt normal, but surely she doesn’t belong here with a bunch of paranormal freaks either. Or does she? They insist Kylie is one of them, and that she was brought here for a reason. As if life wasn’t complicated enough, enter Derek and Lucas. Derek’s a half-fae who’s determined to be her boyfriend, and Lucas is a smokin’ hot werewolf with whom Kylie shares a secret past. Both Derek and Lucas couldn’t be more different, but they both have a powerful hold on her heart.

Even though Kylie feels deeply uncertain about everything, one thing is becoming painfully clear—Shadow Falls is exactly where she belongs…

Born at Midnight had me hooked pretty much from the beginning.  For some reason, the way the story was written just flowed nicely for me. 

The characters were all so great!  I loved Kylie!  She reminded me a lot of how I was at her age.  I drifted between groups and while I was not the type to date a bunch of guys or party, my close friends were.  And I loved her humor!  I totally identified with her.  The love triangle was another great part of the story.  Sometimes I feel that I get tired of the love triangle, but I didn't in this story.  And I can usually easily pick out which boy I would choose, but Derek and Lucas are way too hard to chose between!  The nice, safe guy or the hot, passionate guy--who to choose?  And I can't wait to see who Kylie does choose!  The other secondary characters are great too.  Kylie's roommates are fun.  Miranda and Della definitely provide their own entertainment in the story and Holiday, the camp leader seems like the older sister I always wanted to have.

There are so many questions I have left, in a good way.  Just what is Kylie?  And what's up with Lucas?  And who will Kylie choose--Derek or Lucas?  I can't wait for the next book in the series, Awake at Dawn to come out in October!!

I gave this book a rating of 4.5 out of 5.

Born at Midnight will be released on March 29, 2011.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2011 100+ Reading Challenge: 15
2011 ARC Reading Challenge: 13
2011 Debut Author Challenge: 5
What's in a Name? 4 Challenge: Life Stage
2011 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 13

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked this book too! Great Review. I won it on goodreads. So March 17th I am doing a giveaway for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good. I will definitely keep an eye out for this one.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete