Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Book Review- Drought

I just finished reading Drought by Pam Bachorz for a Book-It Forward ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

Ruby Prosser dreams of escaping the Congregation and the early-nineteenth century lifestyle that’s been practiced since the community was first enslaved.

She plots to escape the vicious Darwin West, his cruel Overseers, and the daily struggle to gather the life-prolonging Water that keeps the Congregants alive and gives Darwin his wealth and power. But if Ruby leaves, the Congregation will die without the secret ingredient that makes the Water special: her blood.

So she stays.

But when Ruby meets Ford, the new Overseer who seems barely older than herself, her desire for freedom is too strong. He’s sympathetic, irresistible, forbidden—and her only access to the modern world. Escape with Ford would be so simple, but can Ruby risk the terrible price, dooming the only world she’s ever known?
 
Where to start?  I don't even really know how I feel about this book.  For some reason, I thought that I had read somewhere that this was a dystopian novel.  But its not really.  It's a book about modern day slavery (if I had read the Goodread's summary, then I would have known that) and it disturbed me.  And it was kind of cultish in a way.  I kept thinking, why don't these people escape?  I mean, I get that its all they've known for the past 200 years, but still!  They knew that it was wrong but they kept waiting for this "person" to save them.  I don't get it.  I really can't even put my thoughts into words to review the book, so that's all I have to say about it.
 
I gave this book a rating of 2.5/5.
 
This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2011 100+ Reading Challenge: 24
2011 ARC Reading Challenge: 22
2011 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 20
 
*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Book It Forward ARC Tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment