Thursday, March 24, 2011

Book Review- The Day Before

I finished The Day Before by Lisa Schroeder a couple of days ago for an Around the World Book Tour.

From Goodreads:

Sometimes there's no turning back.

Amber's life is spinning out of control. All she wants is to turn up the volume on her iPod until all of the demands of her family and friends fade away. So she sneaks off to the beach to spend a day by herself.

Then Amber meets Cade. Their attraction is instant, and Amber can tell that he's also looking for an escape. Together they decide to share a perfect day: no pasts, no fears, no regrets.

The more time that Amber spends with Cade, the more she's drawn to him. And the more she's troubled by his darkness. Because Cade's not just living in the now--he's living each moment like it's his last.
 
The Day Before is told in verse.  It took me a little bit to get used to it, but then I flew right threw.  I feel a little bit undecided about the book. 
 
On one hand, I love the plot line to the story.  I loved what both Amber and Cade were going through (although "loved" isn't the right word--because the issues were not happy--not at all.  But because they made you feel for the characters and if I can't feel for the characters then I just don't enjoy the book). 
But on the other hand I feel that it was way too short.  Too much like a short story, which I don't enjoy that often.  I wanted to know more, go deeper.  I wanted even more background to both Amber and Cade.  And I wanted to know more about what happened in the future.

But I guess that's the point of how the story was written.  It was just one day and the impact a day can make.

I gave the book a rating of 3.5/5.

The Day Before will be released on June 28, 2011.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2011 100+ Reading Challenge: 19
2011 ARC Reading Challenge: 17
2011 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 15
2011 YA Contemporary Challenge: 3

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

1 comment:

  1. LisaS made me fall in love with Verse Novels, they have became my simple pleasure. I look forward to this one.

    She is also my favourite Verse Novel author, I have tried 4 others now.

    ReplyDelete