Sunday, February 12, 2012

Book Review- The Marked

I just finished reading The Marked (Delcroix Academy #2) by Inara Scott for an Around the World ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

All of her life, Dancia Lewis has wanted to use her powers for good. And now that she's learned the truth about Delcroix Academy--and herself--she may just get the chance. But being part of Delcroix's top secret Program isn't anything like Dancia expected. She has to ask herself: what happens to the Talented kids who refuse to pledge their loyalty to the Program? And why did her friend Jack run away rather than join? Dancia's adorable boyfriend Cam insists they need the help of every Talented student to defend Delcroix from dangerous enemies outside their gates. But Dancia has to wonder: what if Delcroix's most frightening enemies come from within?


I read the first book in the series last year and LOVED it, so I couldn't wait to read this one.  Unfortunately, while I did enjoy it, for some reason it didn't grab me as much as the first one did.  I can't really put a finger on why and there's nothing I disliked about it but it was just another book to me.
 
That being said, I still loved Dancia.  I loved that she was herself and kept up with what she believed in.  But they boys--Jack and Cam.  Neither of them are appealing to me.  Jack turns into a complete jerk.  And Cam just doesn't do it for me.  I think he's a good guy, but there's still something that I can't put my finger on that makes me not trust him.  And the secondary characters of Esther and Hennie (and even Catherine) make the story even better.  I like that they are coming into their powers.
 
So this was just another average of the good books to me.  But I think (or at least hope) that there is going to be another book in the series.  I mean, I guess it kinda sorta wrapped up at the end.  But there is still tons that I want to know about and lots more that I think could be written.  And I want to read it!
 
I gave this book a 3.5/5.
 
The Marked will be released on April 3, 2012.
 
This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2012 Reading Challenge 150+: 16
2012 ARC Reading Challenge: 14 
2012 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 14
 
*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment