Thursday, February 16, 2012

Book Review- The Alchemy of Forever

I just finished reading The Alchemy of Forever by Avery Williams for an Around the World ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

Seraphina has been alive since the Middle Ages, when her boyfriend, Cyrus, managed to perfect a method of alchemy that lets them swap bodies with any human being. Sera ran away from Cyrus years ago, when she realized that what they were doing--taking the lives of innocent people--was wrong. She doesn't want to die, so she finds young people who are on the brink of death, and inhabits their bodies.

For some reason, I was a little put off when I first started reading this book.  I don't remember exactly what it was, but I certainly wasn't excited about sitting down to read it.  But then tonight, I had some more time so I sat down and got so into it that I finished the rest of it all in one sitting!

The plot of this story was pretty unique--the idea of being able to just take over another person's body so easily to become an Incarnate.  And it was sooo creepy.  The beginning of the book had me think that it was going to be completely dark, but it actually wasn't. 

Seraphina was just okay for me at the beginning but I really got into her as Kailey.  I liked that she had developed heart and a conscience over the years of taking over the body.  But Cyrus--what a jerk! 

The only real issue I had with the book was that Seraphina took over Kailey's life so easily.  Yes, there were a couple of times that her friends noticed that something was different, but I think that if a new soul really took over a person's body, they wouldn't have any recollection of anything so converstaion would be difficult and speech patterns and things like body movement would  be different.  But once I got over that it was easy to really get into it.

The ending was a nice little twist.  I kinda saw it coming in that I saw the outcome but not how it came to be, if that makes any sense. 

I checked and Goodreads shows that there is a sequel coming out next year and I look forward to reading it!

I gave this book a rating of 4/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2012 Reading Challenge 150+: 17
2012 ARC Reading Challenge: 15
2012 Debut Author Challenge: 3 
2012 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 15

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds really interesting--I might have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete