Sunday, August 19, 2012

Book Review- The Blessed

I just finished reading The Blessed by Tonya Hurley for an Around the World ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

From the author of the New York Times bestselling ghostgirl series, the start to a captivating and haunting teen trilogy about three girls who become entangled with an enigmatic boy—a boy who believes he is a saint.What if martyrs and saints lived among us? And what if you were told you were one of them?

Meet Agnes, Cecilia, and Lucy. Three lost girls, each searching for something. But what they find is Beyond Belief.


Ugh. This is the closest I've ever come to putting a book down and not finishing it.  Unfortunately, I can't ever let myself do this.  And the book never got any better.

I never really knew what was going on.  I don't know if it's because it was a retelling of some religious story or not, but I didn't get it.  And the writing was so choppy.  Nothing really flowed. 

I didn't like the characters either.  Well, that's not completely true.  Agnes was pityful.  Not sure if that made me like her, but I didn't dislike her like I did the others.  And Sebastian vs. Dr Frey.  I knew really figured out who was the bad guy and who was the good guy.  And honestly, I didn't care.  I just wanted the book to be over.

This is supposed to be the first book in a trilogy but I will not be picking up the next two to read.  This was definitely not a book for me.

I gave this book a rating of 2/5.

The Blessed will be released on September 25, 2012.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2012 Reading Challenge 150+: 61

2012 ARC Reading Challenge: 49
2012 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 52

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you didn't like it. I can't put down books I don't like either. It would be so much nicer if I could!

    ReplyDelete