Sunday, August 26, 2012

Book Review- Rift

I just finished reading Rift (Nightshade Prequel #1) by Andrea Cremer for an Around the World ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

Chronicling the rise of the Keepers, this is the stunning prequel to Andrea Cremer's internationally bestselling Nightshade trilogy!

Sixteen-year-old Ember Morrow is promised to a group called Conatus after one of their healers saves her mother's life. Once she arrives, Ember finds joy in wielding swords, learning magic, and fighting the encroaching darkness loose in the world. She also finds herself falling in love with her mentor, the dashing, brooding, and powerful Barrow Hess. When the knights realize Eira, one of their leaders, is dabbling in dark magic, Ember and Barrow must choose whether to follow Eira into the nether realm or to pledge their lives to destroying her and her kind.

With action, adventure, magic, and tantalizing sensuality, this book is as fast-paced and breathtaking as the Nightshade novels.


Like I've said many times before and will probably say many times again, I am one of those readers that when reading a part of a series, I need a refresher in books after the first one.  Now I knew this book was considered a prequel of the series, but still, some kind of reference to what was going on would have been nice.  Even after reading the book, I still can't remember how this ties into the series (oops!)

This book was pretty hard for me to get into.  There's a lot of action but it was kind of dry.  If that makes any sense.  It just didn't catch my attention and make me want to not be able to put it down.  It did pick up towards the end some but it took a while.

I know there is a sequel to this prequel (makes sense, right?) and I have it on my wish list, but its not one I'm dying to pick up.  Hopefully I will be able to find that one more engaging.

I gave this book a rating of 3/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2012 Reading Challenge 150+: 63

2012 ARC Reading Challenge: 51
2012 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 54

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment