Saturday, October 8, 2011

Book Review- Awake at Dawn

I just finished reading Awake at Dawn (Shadow Falls #2) by C.C. Hunter for an Around the World ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

Now that she’s settled in at Shadow Falls Camp, Kylie Galen’s determined to discover the extent of her supernatural abilities. But with a ghost insisting someone Kylie loves is about die, a rogue vampire on a murdering rampage, and her sixth sense telling her someone is watching her, Kylie’s quest for answers is quickly put on hold.

To make matters worse, just when she’s about to give her heart to Derek, a half-fairy, he starts pulling away. When Lucas, a werewolf with whom Kylie shares a secret past, returns, Kylie’s feels more conflicted than ever. Her weekend with her mom should have been the just the break Kylie needs, but it turns out to be her breaking point. Someone from the dark side of the supernatural world has plans for Kylie--and it'll take all her resources to get back to Shadow Falls alive...

I didn't remember too much about the first book in the series, Born at Midnight, just that I had really enjoyed it and it was one of the top books of the year for me.  And when I started reading Awake at Dawn, I remembered why I loved it so much.  It's just such an easy book to read.  And by that, just easy to get into.  For me, the writing just flows so well and I love the characters and the plot of the story.

I still love Kylie.  Just an awesome girl with a big heart and a slight funniness to her.  And her roommates still crack me up.  I would have loved to have roomed with Melinda and Della if I were in her shoes.  As for the boy situation.  I think in Born at Midnight, I loved both Lucas and Derek.  Not so much in this book.  I am definitely Team Derek.  Oh man, what a sweetheart!  Lucas just came across as too cocky for me. 

We get a little closer to finding out what Kylie is in this book, but we still don't completely know.  I think she's some special supernatural that has a little bit of every species (is that the right terminology?) which will make her very powerful.  That's just my guess though!  There was a lot of the love triangle going on in this book, which I have to admit I am a sucker for.  I can't wait to read the next book, Taken at Dusk.  Hopefully we'll find out just what Kylie is, and just which guy she picks!

I gave this book a rating of 4/5.

Awake at Dawn will be released on October 11, 2011.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2011 100+ Reading Challenge: 94
2011 ARC Reading Challenge: 75
2011 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 75

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

1 comment:

  1. I fell in love with this series again after reading this one. My review will go up sometime this week as well if I can ever get over this darn flu!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete