Saturday, October 15, 2011

Book Review- You Are My Only

I just finished reading You Are My Only by Beth Kephart for an Around the World ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

Emmy Rane is married at nineteen, a mother by twenty. Trapped in a life with a husband she no longer loves, Baby is her only joy. Then one sunny day in September, Emmy takes a few fateful steps away from her baby and returns to find her missing. All that is left behind is a yellow sock.

Fourteen years later, Sophie, a homeschooled, reclusive teenage girl is forced to move frequently and abruptly from place to place, perpetually running from what her mother calls the "No Good." One afternoon, Sophie breaks the rules, ventures out, and meets Joey and his two aunts. It is this loving family that gives Sophie the courage to look into her past. What she discovers changes her world forever. . . .

The riveting stories of Emmy and Sophie—alternating narratives of loss, imprisonment, and freedom regained—escalate with breathless suspense toward an unforgettable climax.

This book was a book that I had read several great reviews of and after reading the summary, I thought it would emotional.  But nope, not for me.  I honestly don't get the raves about the book.  Maybe its the fact that the story is full of poor grammar (which fit the characters but made for an awful slow read).  Or the fact that for some things there was waaaay too much detail (I could care less about shapes and who discovered them). 

I was hoping that a story about a kidnapped baby would be emotional and pull at my heart strings, but I found myself not really caring about the story or the characters.  I couldn't relate to any of them and they kind of got on my nerves.

As for the ending, it was predictable but wrapped up way too quickly.  I think that this part didn't have enough details (as compared to other parts that were way too detailed).  But I do have to say that if anything, the last paragraph did get me just a little.

I gave this book a rating of 3/5.

You Are My Only will be released on October 25, 2011.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2011 100+ Reading Challenge: 96
2011 ARC Reading Challenge: 76
2011 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 76
2011 YA Contemporary Challenge: 15

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

2 comments:

  1. It is so odd how different books affect all of us in different ways...I loved this book and these characters...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The writing bothered me too! The best part of the book for me was Joey and his aunts- I thought that was where Kephart was most successful.

    ReplyDelete