Monday, November 15, 2010

Book Review- Tyger Tyger

Last night I finished reading Tyger Tyger by Kersten Hamilton.

From Goodreads:

Teagan Wylltson's best friend, Abby, dreams that horrifying creatures--goblins, shape-shifters, and beings of unearthly beauty but terrible cruelty--are hunting Teagan. Abby is always coming up with crazy stuff, though, so Teagan isn't worried. Her life isn't in danger. In fact, it's perfect. She's on track for a college scholarship. She has a great job. She's focused on school, work, and her future. No boys, no heartaches, no problems.

Until Finn Mac Cumhaill arrives. Finn's a bit on the unearthly beautiful side himself. He has a killer accent and a knee-weakening smile. And either he's crazy or he's been haunting Abby's dreams, because he's talking about goblins, too . . . and about being The Mac Cumhaill, born to fight all goblin-kind. Finn knows a thing or two about fighting. Which is a very good thing, because this time, Abby's right.

The goblins are coming.
 
I've read some great things about this book and was looking forward to reading it.  Unfortunately, it just didn't do it for me.  I had a hard time getting through it. 
 
Normally I like books that are based in mythology, but I couldn't get into this one.  The story was confusing to me.  I couldn't follow the mythological story that went along with the plot in the book.  And then how that mythological story related to the actual plot was sometimes hit or miss for me as well.
 
 For some reason, I found some of the characters to be confusing and I mixed them up.  Who was who in the mythological story versus in the plot of the book.  Blah.  Too much thinking.  I did however like the two main boy characters.  Teagen was just okay for me.  She wasn't strong enough or sympathetic enough for me to really feel strongly about her.  But Aiden and Finn were great.  I like that Finn cared about Teagen and wanted to help her and her brother, even when he finds out the truth about them.  And Aiden was just too cute--so smart for a five year old!  I teach Kindergarten so I could easily picture this little boy in my head.  He was precious.
 
I recommend trying the book.  There are a lot of great things being said about this story and I wouldn't let my opinions sway you too much.
 
I gave this book a rating of 2.5/5.
 
This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 151
2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 116
2010 Debut Author Challenge: 40
ARC Reading Challenge 2010: 105

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free from the publisher for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment