Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Book Review- Cold Kiss

I just finished reading Cold Kiss by Amy Garvey for an Around the World ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

When her boyfriend, Danny, is killed in a car accident, Wren can’t imagine living without him. Wild with grief, she uses the untamed powers she’s inherited to bring him back. But the Danny who returns is just a shell of the boy she once loved.

Wren has spent four months keeping Danny hidden, while her life slowly unravels around her. Then Gabriel DeMarnes transfers to her school and somehow, inexplicably, he can sense her secret. Wren finds herself drawn to Gabriel, who is so much more alive than the ghost of the boy she loved. But Wren can’t turn her back on Danny or the choice she made for him—and she realizes she must find a way to make things right, even if it means breaking her own heart.

Amy Garvey’s transcendent teen debut is perfect for fans of Shiver and Beautiful Creatures. Wren’s unforgettable voice and story will stay with readers long after the last page is turned.
 
For some reason when I first saw the summary of this book, I skipped  past it, not really interested in reading it.  But then when I saw some reviews, I changed my mind.  And I'm glad I did!

Wren is such a real character!  I mean, yes, I know she has powers that aren't real.  But her emotions are real.  I so remember my first love and remember the pain of losing him just in a breakup.  And I remember thinking I would do anything to get him back.  So I could totally identify with Wren wanting to bring Danny back from the dead after he dies.  And all of the emotions that she went through.  The love she had for Danny.  The feelings of guilt for bringing him back solely for her own reasons.  Her curiosity about Gabriel and her new crush feelings for him.  All of this just made her such a real character to me.  A likeable one.
 
And the plot kept me hanging on.  It was by no means an action-driven story.  It was definitely character based.  Maybe that's why I liked it so much.  But there was still enough of a suspsense that kept me going.  I wanted to know just what was going to happen to Danny.  Was he going to turn into a violent zombie that I picture in my head?  Was anyone going to find out about him?  Would Wren keep him alive forever?  Then you have the whole romance with Wren and Gabriel going on.  And the questions about Wren's families' powers and just why her dad left.  The first couple of questions were answered, but the last ones weren't.  And I just check and there is a sequel to Cold Kiss, which I'm so glad about and can't wait to be able to read!
 
I gave this book a rating of 4/5.
 
Cold Kiss will be released on September 20, 2011.
 
This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2011 100+ Reading Challenge: 84
2011 ARC Reading Challenge: 67
2011 Debut Author Challenge: 23
2011 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 65
 
*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so bummed, I had this one from NetGalley but I didn't download it before they archived it! So I missed it. You snooze you lose I guess.

    Oh well, great review. Sounds like I would have really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a lot of blogs and I am also thinking of turning them all into dofollow blogs. It helps to have good comments and get vistitors into my blogs.website hosting



    web hosting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bloggers have the same effect on me. I've seen this one around, and it does sound really good. I really want to read Bloodlines because everyone has been raving about it. I initially wasn't that interested.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon..!!
    Web hosting

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good information and great post. I will bookmark your weblog and check again here every once in a while.
    Zenyataa shoes

    ReplyDelete