Monday, September 26, 2011

Book Review- The Predicteds

I finished reading THe Predicteds by Christine Seifert for a Teen Book Scene tour.

From Goodreads:

"We wanted to know what makes a good kid good and a bad kid bad. Can you blame us for that? We found an astoundingly, marvelously simple answer: The brain isn't so much a complicated machine as it is a crystal ball. If you look into it, you will see everything you want to know."
-Dr. Mark Miliken, senior researcher at Utopia Laboratories


Who will it be?


Will the head cheerleader get pregnant?


Is the student council president a secret drug addict?


The whole school is freaking out about PROFILE, an experimental program that can predict students' future behavior.


The only question Daphne wants answered is whether Jesse will ask her out...but he's a Predicted, and there's something about his future he's not telling her.


Well, first of all, The Predicteds was, well, predictable.  The prologue pretty much tells you that something happens to Daphne.  And right from the first time we meet the character who is going to committ the crime, I knew who it would be.  I couldn't stand this character!

The other characters were okay.  Daphne never really grew on me.  Her relationship with her mom was weird:  calling her by her first name and her mom not really having any responsibility with her.  And then the friends she makes at the new school are horrible.  Yes, Dizzy can be nice sometimes, but she could be so mean to other kids.  And Brooklyn was just a straight up *itch.  I don't know why Daphne would put up with either of them.  I mean, Daphne seemed to have a mind of her own, so to want to be friends with either of these girls just to be popular just didn't sit right with me.  I think if I had to pick any of the girls to like, it would have been January.

As for the boys: Sam and Jesse were okay.  Nice enough but still not that great to me.  And I didn't like Josh at all.  I couldn't see why Dizzy wanted anything to do with him!

The plot was interesting, but bothersome.  Although I think it was supposed to be that way.  The idea of segregating kids based on what this computer program came up with is just so horrible!  But it kept my interest.  I wanted to know just what was going to happen and what was going to come of the predicteds.

I gave this book a rating of 3.5/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2011 100+ Reading Challenge: 89
2011 Debut Author Challenge: 24
2011 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 70

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Teen Book Scene.


No comments:

Post a Comment