Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Book Review- Possession

I just finished reading Possession by Elana Johnson for an Around the World ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

Vi knows the Rule: Girls don't walk with boys, and they never even think about kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn...and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi's future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself.

But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they're set on convincing Vi to become one of them...starting by brainwashing Zenn. Vi can't leave Zenn in the Thinkers' hands, but she's wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag. Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous--everything Zenn's not. Vi can't quite trust Jag and can't quite resist him, but she also can't give up on Zenn.

This is a game of control or be controlled. And Vi has no choice but to play.
 
Hmm...what to say about this book?  Well, the premise was good.  When I think of the main idea of the story, I liked it.  But it was the writing that made me question whether I enjoyed the book.
 
I was confused for a lot of the story.  I would go back and re-read paragraphs, thinking I had skipped over something, but no.  There was a lot that seemed to be jumped over.  Small little parts that you wonder just what happened.  I want to say the book was jumpy, but its not like it jumped from scene to scene or character to character.  It was almost like watching a movie and falling asleep for a minute and missing just that one little detail.  And Goodies versus Baddies.  And who was what and who was a spy for whom.  Huh?  I got confused on that too.
 
But then I was also hooked into the story.  I wanted to know what was going to happen to Vi and Jag.  And the ending definitely leaves you wondering just what's going to happen next.  I'm not sure I'll read the next book, but I think I'll wait to read reviews before I decide.  Maybe the writing will get better.
 
I gave this book a rating of 3/5.
 
This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2011 100+ Reading Challenge: 83
2011 ARC Reading Challenge: 66
2011 Debut Author Challenge: 22
2011 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 64
 
*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a little reluctant about the "confusing" parts, but it does sounds really interesting. The cover is BEAUTIFUL!


    Did I ever tell you that I love the design of your blog? It is sooooo nice!

    ReplyDelete