Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Book Review- Awakening

I finished reading Awakening by K. Lippi for a review for TeensReadToo today.

Emilia Miani, otherwise known as Mia, to those who love her, is a fifteen year old girl from San Diego whose life had been relatively normal up until now. Relatively, meaning living with her grandmothers because her mother who died when she was six and her father was in the military and stationed around the world. But when she was fifteen, her world started to change. She meets Shin Kurosaki, a Japanese demon who is assigned to be her guardian angel. But that is just the beginning of the family secrets that she learns. She learns that her grandfather was a death angel and that her blood is divine and kills anything that it comes into contact with. And on her prom night during the spring when she is sixteen, her life will change forever.

Let me start off by saying that this book was somewhat difficult to read. There were so many grammatical and spelling errors that I often had to re-read sentences to get them to make sense. The words also didn't flow very well. It was sometimes like the book had been written in another language and then translated into English but I couldn't find anywhere that said that this was the case, so I'm assuming it was just a bad edit job.

That being said, the premise of the story was good. There was a lot going on and sometimes I forgot what happened and what meant what, but I think the idea was good. I liked the relationship between Shin and Emilia. Even though I thought Shin was too overprotective at times, I did like how they played off of each other.

Awakening ended on a cliff hanger and there will be a sequel because it says "To be continued" at the end.

I gave this book a rating of 2.5/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenge:
Paranormal 999 Challenge: Demons

1 comment:

  1. What's up with the cover? I see the butterfly but what's the rest of it? Dripping and splattered paint? I don't like it much. :(

    I like the guardian angel aspect. :)

    ReplyDelete