Friday, September 25, 2009

Book Review- What's A Ghoul To Do?

I just finished What's A Ghoul To Do? by Victoria Laurie.


From the back cover:


M.J. Holliday's a medium with a message--her business is helping lost souls cross over to the other side. But what if the ghosts want to stay put?

M.J. Holliday has two rules. One, she and her partner, Gilley Gillespie, work alone; and two, she doesn't date clients. But when handsome Dr. Steven Sable needs her help, the specter-spotting slueth is ready to break both of her rules.


It seems the hot doc's grandfather jumped from the roof of the family lodge in an apparent suicide. But Dr. Sable knows in his bones it was foul play, and strange things keep happening at the lodge. He'll hire M.J. and Gilley--but only if he can come along. Hey, the duo needs the money--and looking at eye candy all weekend doesn't sound too bad either...


But once they reach the lodge, the three realize they're dealing with more ghosts than just Grandpa Sable's. And the spooks keep playing nasty tricks on their human visitors. To the untrained eye, it would appear that ghouls just want to have fun. But M.J. knows they're communicating their distress--and it's up to her to figure out why...


This was a cute, fun read. The author writes in a way that the book just flows and I read it really quickly.


I liked all of the characters--M.J., Dr. Sable, and Gilley. Gilley is the gay guy friend who is hilarious. M.J. seemed real--I don't know why I have such a bad idea about people who can see/help ghosts, but I do and even thought this is complete fiction, M.J. seemed believeable. And Dr. Sable, otherwise known as Dr. Delicious, just seems hot--and funny! I loved the way his language messed up all the English slang words! They had me laughing a lot!


I enjoyed the plot too. I sort of figured out what happened, but not completely. And there was a side story that I definitely didn't figure out. As for M.J. and Dr. Sable, the author left us hanging until the next book in the series, Demons Are A Ghoul's Best Friend. It's a good thing I'm reading that next!


I gave this book a rating of 3.5/5.


This book fulfills items in the following challenge:
Paranormal 999 Challenge: Ghosts/Angels (could also be used as Psychics/Sensitives)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a interesting read! I'll keep my eyes open for it thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the title of this book.

    ReplyDelete