Saturday, July 16, 2011

Book Review- WinterTown

Early this morning I finished reading Winter Town by Stephen Emond for an Around the World ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

Every winter, straight-laced, Ivy League bound Evan looks forward to a visit from Lucy, a childhood pal who moved away after her parent's divorce. But when Lucy arrives this year, she's changed. The former "girl next door" now has chopped dyed black hair, a nose stud, and a scowl. But Evan knows that somewhere beneath the Goth, "Old Lucy" still exists, and he's determined to find her... even if it means pissing her off.

Garden State meets Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist in this funny and poignant illustrated novel about opposites who fall in love.
 
This book was just ehhh for me.  I usually find myself feeling this way about books either written about guys or by guys.  I don't know why.  And that was the case for this book.  I certainly didn't hate the book.  But I didn't really care about it either.  It was just...there.
 
Of the two characters, I definitely liked Evan more than Lucy.  Evan seemed like a sweet, slightly-nerdy guy who had a big heart and wanted to do the right thing.  While Lucy, she was just so negative.  About EVERYTHING!  I get that she's had some rough times.  But I knew kids with a lot harder lives than hers and they weren't nearly so negative.  And when we got to see things from Lucy's side and see how she kinda had a crush on Evan the whole time, I was kinda shocked.  I mean, she certainly didn't act like it at all. 
 
The graphics and drawings were a nice tough.  I usually stay away from graphic novels, but since this only had a few, it wasn't bad and broke up the story nicely.
 
I gave this book a rating of 3/5.
 
Winter Town will be released on December 5, 2011.
 
This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2011 A to Z Challenge: E
2011 100+ Reading Challenge: 58
2011 ARC Reading Challenge: 48
2011 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 45
2011 YA Contemporary Challenge: 9

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment