Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Book Review- A Beautiful Dark

I just finished reading A Beautiful Dark by Jocelyn Davies for an Around the World ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

On the night of Skye's seventeenth birthday, she meets two enigmatic strangers. Complete opposites--like fire and ice--Asher is dark and wild, while Devin is fair and aloof. Their sudden appearance sends Skye's life into a tailspin. She has no idea what they want, or why they seem to follow her every move--only that their presence coincides with a flurry of strange events. Soon she begins to doubt not just the identity of the two boys, but also the truth about her own past.


In the dead of a bitingly cold Colorado winter, Skye finds herself coming to terms with the impossible secret that threatens to shatter her world. Torn between Asher, who she can't help falling for, and Devin, who she can't stay away from, the consequences of Skye's choice will reach further than the three of them could ever imagine.
 
This is another great book about good and evil.  But in this case, I think the "good" was really more "bad" than the "evil"was.  If that makes any sense. 
 
What a great cast of characters!  I loved Skye!  She was independent yet not distant.  I loved that she was sort of dorky--perfect attendance and trying to get into Columbia.  And then you have the love triangle part--Devin and Asher.  I tend to go for the good guys, so in this case I was all set to love Devin.  But I was wrong.  There was just something so creepy about absolutely having to follow the rules of this higher Order.  Yuck.  And Asher.  He may have been on the Rebellion side, but he just seemed so good and sweet and right for Skye.  And then you have the secondary characters--Cassie and Ian and Dan.  All great friends.  None of them had a mean streak in them (which you often find in friends of the main character).  They seemed like people that I would have been friends with in high school.

And the plot had me continuously guessing.  I wanted to know just what Skye's powers would be.  And I wanted to know which guy she would pick--Asher or Devin..or even Ian?  And I wanted to know what side she would choose--good, the Order, or evil, The Rebellion.  Unfortunately, we don't find out.  There's a major cliff hanger at the end of the book.  But it's not one that I mind.  It just makes me want to read the next book all that more!  Or at least, there better be another book!  A great debut novel by a great new author!
 
I gave this book a rating of 4/5.
 
A Beautiful Dark will be released on September 27, 2011.
 
This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2011 100+ Reading Challenge: 67
2011 ARC Reading Challenge: 53
2011 Debut Author Challenge: 16
2011 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 51

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment