Sunday, August 21, 2011

Book Review- Crossed

I just finished reading Crossed by Ally Condie for an Around the World ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

In search of a future that may not exist and faced with the decision of who to share it with, Cassia journeys to the Outer Provinces in pursuit of Ky - taken by the Society to his certain death - only to find that he has escaped, leaving a series of clues in his wake.

Cassia's quest leads her to question much of what she holds dear, even as she finds glimmers of a different life across the border. But as Cassia nears resolve and certainty about her future with Ky, an invitation for rebellion, an unexpected betrayal, and a surprise visit from Xander - who may hold the key to the uprising and, still, to Cassia's heart - change the game once again. Nothing is as expected on the edge of Society, where crosses and double crosses make the path more twisted than ever.
 
When reading books that are sequels, I like there to be at least a little bit of a back story to remind me of what happened in the first book.  I read a lot and for some reason, I have a hard time remembering plots of books I read more than a couple of months ago.  Unfortunately, Crossed didn't really tell us what happened in the previous book, Matched, so I felt like I was lost for a lot of the book.  I don't like feeling confused, and as a result, I don't think I really connected with the book.
 
This book was also way to political for me.  I thought I had remembered Matched as being more of a love story, with a love triangle of Cassia with Xander and Ky.  And while that is still slightly there, this is more about escaping Society to try to join the Rising.  And it was about the escape.  Honestly, I found it quite boring.  I like books that are more character based instead of action based.  And this book definitely wasn't character based.  Although, there wasn't all that much action either.  I dunno.  I just couldn't get into the book.  There is a third book (this is a trilogy) and I'll pick it up to see what happens to Cassia, Ky, and Xander, but its not like I'm dying to read it.  Oh well.
 
I gave this book a rating of 3/5.
 
Crossed will be released on November 1, 2011.
 
This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2011 100+ Reading Challenge: 76
2011 ARC Reading Challenge: 60
2011 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 58
 
*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear this one was so disappointing. I did like Matched so I will probably give Crossed a try. I prefer Lauren Oliver's Delirium to this series and can't wait to read Pandemonium. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adored Matched and am on the tour for this ARC as well. I really hope I like it, but characters have to drive the story for me to and if this one is action driven that might be a downer.

    ReplyDelete