Friday, August 5, 2011

Book Review- Deadly Cool

I just finished reading Deadly Cool by Gemma Halliday for an Around the World ARC Tour.


From Goodreads:

Hartley Grace Featherstone is having a very bad day. First she finds out that her boyfriend is cheating on her with the president of the Herbert Hoover High School Chastity Club. Then he's pegged as the #1 suspect in a murder. And if that weren't enough, now he's depending on Hartley to clear his name. Seriously? Not cool. But as much as Hartley wouldn't mind seeing him squirm, she knows he's innocent, and she's the only one who can help him. Along with her best friend, Sam, and the school's resident Bad Boy, Chase, Hartley starts investigating on her own. But as the dead bodies begin to pile up, the mystery deepens, the suspects multiply, and Hartley begins to fear that she may be the killer's next victim.

This was pretty typical mystery story.  And it was pretty predictable.  But I enjoyed it all the same.  There were tons of stereotypes in this book.  But I have to admit, thats kinda what made it enjoyable. 

You couldn't help but like Hartley.  I felt so bad for her when she found out her boyfriend had been cheating on her (been there) and loved how she stayed strong, even though she was tempted to be otherwise.  And I loved her best friend Sam.  Too cute.  And then you have to throw in a guy, of course, in which this case was the Bad Boy. 

The plot was pretty predictable.   I had the murderer pegged pretty early on, although I didn't really get the motive right.  And the ending was well done.  It could have gone a couple of different ways, but I think the way it did go was the right one.

So while this wasn't an amazing book, I found it entertaining enough.

I gave this book a rating of 3.5/5.

Deadly Cool will be released on October 11, 2011.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2011 100+ Reading Challenge: 69
2011 ARC Reading Challenge: 55
2011 Debut Author Challenge: 17
2011 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 53
2011 YA Contemporary Challenge: 11

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

1 comment:

  1. That's the first review I read of this one, thanks! It sounds like something I could enjoy. The cover is striking!

    ReplyDelete