Friday, August 12, 2011

Book Review- Touch of Frost

Early this morning, I finished reading Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep for The Teen Book Scene.

From Goodreads:

My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy — a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest.

But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why—especially since I should have been the one who died. . .

Touch of Frost was a fun read.  For some reason, I find myself always enjoying books set at boarding schools.  I'm not sure what the attraction is, but its there!  And since Touch of Frost was set at a boarding school, I knew I would enjoy it!

This was a paranormal book, but a different take on that world.  Instead of the normal angels, werewolves, fairies, and vampires, this book dealt with Warriors and Valkyries and Spartans and the descendants of the gods.  I've always loved Greek mythology, so I enjoyed reading this take on it. 

I liked Gwen.  I liked that she seemed to fully embrace her powers and be okay with who she was.  And I liked that she had such a good heart. 

There were several twists and turns in this story.  I kinda thought that there would be something more to Gwen's mom's death (since it was a drunk driving accident and the other driver was never found) but nothing really came of that.  The real story of Jasmine's death was a surprise.  I didn't see that one coming.  And I think it will be interesting to see what Gwen does next in the sequel, Kiss of Frost.

I gave this book a rating of 3.5/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2011 100+ Reading Challenge: 71
2011 Debut Author Challenge: 18
2011 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 54

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Teen Book Scene.



No comments:

Post a Comment