Sunday, December 23, 2012

Book Review- The Evolution of Mara Dyer

Last night, I finished reading The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin.

From Goodreads:

Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past.

She can’t.

She used to think her problems were all in her head.

They aren’t.

She couldn’t imagine that after everything she’s been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets.

She’s wrong.

In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. What will become of Mara Dyer next?


I didn't remember too much about the first book in this series except that the main character had been in a mental hospital.  So I went to a blog that recaps books including stories to help remember what happened and to understand the next book in the series.  I didn't really remember any of what was in the recap so it was really helpful to read it and I was immediately absorbed back into the story.

According to my review of the first book, I loved Noah.  But in this book he was just okay for me.  I feel like there's something sketchy about him that I can't figure out.  I did enjoy Mara once again though. 

I do have to say that some of the books left me not really understanding what was going on.  I didn't really get the flashbacks.  I can't decide if they're memories from Mara's grandmother that are somehow being sent to her, or if they're her memories from a past life, or what.  And the end completely baffled me.  I don't want to give anything away, but if someone understands what happened, please let me know!

That being said, being confused left me wanting to read more.  So I'll definitely be picking up the next book when it comes out!

I gave this book a rating of 3.5/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2012 Reading Challenge 150+: 90

2012 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 78
2012 Sophomore Reading Challenge: 9
2012 Mammoth Book Challenge: 11

*FTC Disclosure: I traded this book with a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment