Monday, December 31, 2012

Book Review- Try Not to Breathe

I finished Try Not to Breathe by Jennifer Hubbard earlier today.

From Goodreads:

Learning to live is more than just choosing not to die, as sixteen-year-old Ryan discovers in the year following his suicide attempt. Despite his mother’s anxious hovering and the rumors at school, he’s trying to forget the darkness from which he has escaped. But it doesn’t help that he’s still hiding guilty secrets, or that he longs for a girl who may not return his feelings. Then he befriends Nicki, who is using psychics to seek contact with her dead father. This unlikely friendship thaws Ryan to the point where he can face the worst in himself. He and Nicki confide in one another the things they never thought they’d tell anyone—but their confessions are trickier than they seem, and the fallout tests the bounds of friendship and forgiveness.

Often times, I have a hard time connecting when the main character is a male.  And unfortunately, that was the case in this story.  I never really connected with either of the main characters--Ryan or Nicki, or with the story. 

Sure, I felt sorry for Ryan and Nicki and their own personal problems.  But I didn't really care that much.  Which is sad because I wanted to.  Suicide is such a strong topic and I wanted to feel for them but I just felt distant.  And I don't think the way the story was written helped much either.  I just never really got into it.

It wasn't a bad story by any means.  And it did hold my attention. But I just could never get as emotional wrapped up as I wanted to be.

I gave this book a rating of 3/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2012 Reading Challenge 150+: 93
2012 ARC Reading Challenge: 74
2012 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 80
Completely Contemp Challenge 2012: 2012-18
2012 TBR Pile Reading Challenge: 6
2012 Standalone Reading Challenge: 19
2012 Sophomore Reading Challenge: 10

*FTC Disclosure: This book was given to me for free by the publisher for a honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment