Sunday, February 21, 2010

Book Review- Wish

I just finished reading Wish by Alexandra Bullen.

From Goodreads:

For broken-hearted Olivia Larsen, nothing can change the fact that her twin sister, Violet, is gone... until a mysterious, beautiful gown arrives on her doorstep. The dress doesn't just look magical; it is magical. It has the power to grant her one wish, and the only thing Olivia wants is her sister back.

With Violet again by her side, both girls get a second chance at life. And as the sisters soon discover, they have two more dresses-and two more wishes left. But magic can't solve everything, and Olivia is forced to confront her ghosts to learn how to laugh, love, and live again.

In a breathtaking debut from Alexandra Bullen, Wish asks the question: If you could have anything, what would you wish for?

I admit--I am one of those readers who judges a book by its cover.  And if I had been in a store and randomly saw Wish without knowing anything about it, I would have picked it up for its cover alone--I think it's so pretty!  (And I want the dress that is on the cover of my ARC!---its a slightly different dress from what is on the final cover)

I really liked the premise of the story.  A girl who is heartbroken needing wishes isn't a new plot, but having wishes come from beautiful dresses is!  What girl wouldn't want a magical gown? 

I really liked the characters in the story.  (side note, I have always been fascinated by twins so I was excited that there were twins in the story).  I really identified with Olivia--living cautiously and sometimes feeling like you're on the outside.  And I loved that Violet was the complete opposite--friendly, outgoing, and the life of the party (when she was alive).  I loved the advice that Violet gave to Olivia throughout the story.  And at the beginning I wanted to hate Calla--the perfect, popular girl, but I just couldn't!  She was just too sweet and vulnerable. 

The ending of the story had me reaching for tissues.  So sad, but right..if that makes sense.  I can't wait to read the next Wish book!

I gave this book a rating of 3.5/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 26
2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 19
2010 Debut Author Challenge: 9
ARC Reading Challenge 2010: 19

* FTC Disclosure: I received this book from the publisher for an honest review.

2 comments:

  1. Nice review!! I've seen this in the stores a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree with you - I'd also pick this up based on the cover alone, it's too gorgeous for words! I also adore the dress on the ARC cover and am somewhat fascinated by twins so this book was perfect for me! I really loved it and can't wait to read more by Alexandra Bullen!

    ReplyDelete