Thursday, December 30, 2010

Book Review- The Mockingbirds

Early this morning I finished The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney for a Star Book Tours.

From Goodreads:

Some schools have honor codes.
Others have handbooks.
Themis Academy has the Mockingbirds.

Themis Academy is a quiet boarding school with an exceptional student body that the administration trusts to always behave the honorable way--the Themis Way. So when Alex is date raped during her junior year, she has two options: stay silent and hope someone helps her, or enlist the Mockingbirds--a secret society of students dedicated to righting the wrongs of their fellow peers.

In this honest, page-turning account of a teen girl's struggle to stand up for herself, debut author Daisy Whitney reminds readers that if you love something or someone--especially yourself--you fight for it.

I feel like this is such an important book.  Date rape is unfortunately something that way too many teens (and females in general) are a victim of.  And this book seemed so real.  The main character, Alex, seemed to handle it the way a real teen might.  She didn't want to go to the police because she didn't want her parents to find out (although, I do think she should have gone) and she went through the emotions that I imagine a date-rape victim would go through.  At the end of the book, in the authors note, we learn that the author was a date-rape victim.  And while that is horrifying, I don't think the book would have been as real as it was without that tragic event.

And I love the idea of the Mockingbirds, although I'm not sure that a system like that would really work in a school.  I can't really see the kids who think they have the power at the school really let a school-run organization "police" them, especially when the adults don't do anything about it.  But like I said, I do like the idea of it.  And I did like the checks and balances that were put into place.

I liked all of the main characters--Alex and her roomies T.S. and Maia.  And I loved Martin--such a good guy (I always like the geeks!) And I loved the students who made up the Mockingbirds board. 

I think that every female teen should read this.  Especially ones who are rape victims.  I think it would help them see that they aren't alone and that their feelings are normal.  My heart goes out to Alex and to all other victims.

I gave this book a rating of 4/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 159
2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 124
2010 Debut Author Challenge: 41
ARC Reading Challenge 2010: 113

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Star Book Tours.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like an interesting book. It is quite a problem in this day and age. I know I wouldn't want to be a teen-ager today. The world has changed way to much since I was a youngster.

    Happy Reading in 2011.

    ReplyDelete