Sunday, October 23, 2011

Book Review- Prized

I just finished Prized by Caragh O'Brien for an Around the World ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

Striking out into the wasteland with nothing but her baby sister, a handful of supplies, and a rumor to guide her, sixteen-year-old midwife Gaia Stone survives only to be captured by the people of Sylum, a dystopian society where women rule the men who drastically outnumber them, and a kiss is a crime. In order to see her sister again, Gaia must submit to their strict social code, but how can she deny her sense of justice, her curiosity, and everything in her heart that makes her whole?


It is very rare that I like the sequel more than I like the first book.  But that's what happened with this book.  I liked it so much more than the first book, Birthmarked.  I didn't want to put it down!
 
Prized made me really think.  About what was right and what was wrong and about the society that we live in today.  The society that Gaia stumbled into is so different.  And while I could see how it worked, it just wasn't RIGHT.  And I loved how Gaia stood up for what was right.
 
I really like Gaia.  I loved how she (mostly) stood up for what she believed in, or at least tried to.  I loved how she was so independent but not in an off-putting way.  The only thing I didn't get was her attraction to Leon.  I don't remember much about their relationship from the first book, so maybe that's why.  But he was just so horrible to her in this one. 
 
It's hard for me to write a review.  I don't want to give anything away so I can't write about just what was so wrong with the society or how Leon was horrible.  Just know that you won't want to stop reading!
 
I gave this book a rating of 4/5.
 
Prized will be released on November 8, 2011.
 
This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2011 A to Z Challenge: O
2011 100+ Reading Challenge: 99
2011 ARC Reading Challenge: 79
2011 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 79
 
*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read the first book yet but I also thought this one sounded more interesting. Since you spoke so highly of it I might have to give this series a try! :)

    ReplyDelete