Thursday, February 18, 2010

Book Review- Princess For Hire

I just finished reading Princess For Hire by Lindsey Leavitt for an Around The World Tour.

From Goodreads:

When a well-dressed woman steps out of a bubble and wants to know if you'd like to become a substitute princess, do you
A) run
B) faint
C) say yes?

For Desi Bascomb, who's been longing for some glamour in her Idaho life, the choice is a definite C). Desi has a rare ability: with the help of "Royal Rouge," she can temporarily transform into the exact look-alike of any princess who needs her subbing services. Dream come true, right?

Well, Desi soon discovers that subbing involves a lot more than wearing a tiara and waving at cameras.... In this winning debut, one girl's dream of glamour transforms into the desire to make a positive impact. And an impact Desi makes, one royal fiasco at a time.
 
Let me start off by saying that I am totally one of those girls (okay, women) who always wanted to be a princess and had daydreams about it.  So when I read the summary of Princess For Hire, I knew I wanted to read it.
 
While I was reading this book, I kept thinking that I could totally see this being turned into a movie.  And since it is published by Disney Hyperion, I could see that happening.  I think that this is definitely more of pre-teen book that the books I normally read, but it was a nice escape from some of the darker books I had been reading lately.
 
Desi seems like a normal teenager.  And like most girls, she jumped at the chance to be a princess, even if it was just subbing.  While I liked the characters that Desi had to sub for, I feel that there could have been more depth in the plot. I feel like it just skims the surface of the princesses that Desi is subbing for and that more could be added to that part of the story. 
 
Overall, a quick, cute read and I will be reading the next book in the series when it comes out.
 
I gave this book a rating of 3/5.
 
Princess For Hire will be released on March 16, 2010.
 
This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
A to Z Challenge: L
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 24
2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 18
2010 Debut Author Challenge: 8
What's In A Name? 3 Challenge: Title
ARC Reading Challenge 2010: 18
 
*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

3 comments:

  1. Nice review!! I'm excited for this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review! I already have a copy of this, I just need some time to read it, but I can't wait to do so as it sounds fantastic! :D

    ReplyDelete