Thursday, February 18, 2010

Book Review- Princess For Hire

I just finished reading Princess For Hire by Lindsey Leavitt for an Around The World Tour.

From Goodreads:

When a well-dressed woman steps out of a bubble and wants to know if you'd like to become a substitute princess, do you
A) run
B) faint
C) say yes?

For Desi Bascomb, who's been longing for some glamour in her Idaho life, the choice is a definite C). Desi has a rare ability: with the help of "Royal Rouge," she can temporarily transform into the exact look-alike of any princess who needs her subbing services. Dream come true, right?

Well, Desi soon discovers that subbing involves a lot more than wearing a tiara and waving at cameras.... In this winning debut, one girl's dream of glamour transforms into the desire to make a positive impact. And an impact Desi makes, one royal fiasco at a time.
Let me start off by saying that I am totally one of those girls (okay, women) who always wanted to be a princess and had daydreams about it.  So when I read the summary of Princess For Hire, I knew I wanted to read it.
While I was reading this book, I kept thinking that I could totally see this being turned into a movie.  And since it is published by Disney Hyperion, I could see that happening.  I think that this is definitely more of pre-teen book that the books I normally read, but it was a nice escape from some of the darker books I had been reading lately.
Desi seems like a normal teenager.  And like most girls, she jumped at the chance to be a princess, even if it was just subbing.  While I liked the characters that Desi had to sub for, I feel that there could have been more depth in the plot. I feel like it just skims the surface of the princesses that Desi is subbing for and that more could be added to that part of the story. 
Overall, a quick, cute read and I will be reading the next book in the series when it comes out.
I gave this book a rating of 3/5.
Princess For Hire will be released on March 16, 2010.
This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
A to Z Challenge: L
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 24
2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 18
2010 Debut Author Challenge: 8
What's In A Name? 3 Challenge: Title
ARC Reading Challenge 2010: 18
*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.


  1. Nice review!! I'm excited for this one!!

  2. Thanks for the review! I already have a copy of this, I just need some time to read it, but I can't wait to do so as it sounds fantastic! :D