Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Book Review- Forgive My Fins

I just finished reading Forgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs for a Traveling ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

Lily Sanderson has a secret, and it’s not that she has a huge crush on gorgeous swimming god Brody Bennett, who makes her heart beat flipper-fast. Unrequited love is hard enough when you’re a normal teenage girl, but when you’re half human, half mermaid like Lily, there’s no such thing as a simple crush.

Lily’s mermaid identity is a secret that can’t get out, since she’s not just any mermaid – she’s a Thalassinian princess. When Lily found out three years ago that her mother was actually a human, she finally realized why she didn’t feel quite at home in Thalassinia, and she’s been living on land and going to Seaview high school ever since, hoping to find where she truly belongs. Sure, land has its problems – like her obnoxious, biker boy neighbor Quince Fletcher – but it has that one major perk – Brody. The problem is, mermaids aren’t really the casual dating type – when they “bond,” it’s for life.

When Lily’s attempt to win Brody’s love leads to a tsunami-sized case of mistaken identity, she is in for a tidal wave of relationship drama, and she finds out, quick as a tailfin flick, that happily-ever-after never sails quite as smoothly as you planned.
 
This book is just absoultely adorable!  I loved everything about it!  No, the story premise is nothing new--it's basically just a teen love story.  But the details of that love story make it a fun and fascinating read.
 
The cover just immediately grabbed me.  It is absolutely beautiful!  The colors and the photograph just make it one of those books that you would pick up just by judging the color.
 
And the way the story is written is just so much fun.  The author has written in so many cute ocean puns and sea slang.  They would often make me giggle out loud.  And then the way that Thalassinia is described--it just sounds beautiful.  I could easily picture this world in my mind and it made me want to visit there!  (And I want beautiful fins and to have eyes that sparkle when I cry).
 
I flew through this book and before I knew it, I was at the end.  It's not the typical ending but it worked so well.  And the epilouge--talk about a cliff hanger!  There has got to be a sequel to this book (but I don't know for sure) and if there is, I want to read it now!

*ETA:  I talked with Tera Lynn Childs and there is a sequel coming out next summer called Fins Are Forever!
 
I gave this book a rating of 4.5/5.
 
Forgive My Fins will be released on June 1, 2010.
 
This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 54
2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 40
ARC Reading Challenge 2010: 38
 
*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Traveling ARC Tours.

2 comments:

  1. TOTALLY agree! Adorable is totally a good word for this one! :) Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read this one! Yay for June 1st---not too long to wait now!

    ReplyDelete