Saturday, May 15, 2010

Book Review- My Sister's Voice

I just finished reading My Sister's Voice by Mary Carter for a Pump Up Your Book Virtual Book Tour.  Yes, I was supposed to have this posted yesterday..sorry I suck!

From Goodreads:

What do you do when you discover your whole life was a lie? In Mary Carter’s unforgettable new novel, one woman is about to find out. . .

At twenty-eight, Lacey Gears is exactly where she wants to be. An up-and-coming, proudly Deaf artist in Philadelphia, she’s in a relationship with a wonderful man and rarely thinks about her difficult childhood in a home for disabled orphans. That is, until Lacey receives a letter that begins, “You have a sister. A twin to be exact…”

Learning her identical, hearing twin, Monica, experienced the normal childhood she was denied resurrects all of Lacey’s grief, and she angrily sets out to find Monica and her biological parents. But the truth about Monica’s life, their brief shared past, and the reason for the twins’ separation is far from simple. And for every one of Lacey’s questions that’s answered, others are raised, more baffling and profound.

Complex, moving, and beautifully told, My Sister’s Voice is a novel about sisterhood, love of every shape, and the stories we cling to until real life comes crashing in…
 
I have always been fascinated with twins.  Growing up, I loved reading the Sweet Valley Twins and Sweet Valley High series.  I did several research projects in high school on twins.  And I am currently dating a twin.  And I also have a best friend who is fluent in American Sign Language and has taught me several signs.  So I couldn't wait to read this book. 
 
There were several twists and surprises in this book, a couple of which I saw coming.  But I definitely didn't predict one of the last ones.  It came out of the blue for me!
 
The two main characters, twins Lacey and Monica, were okay for me.  I didn't really love them.  Lacey, who was Deaf, just seemed so cold and off-putting (although I could see why she was that way--it just didn't appeal to me).  And Monica seemed a little, I don't know how to put it nicely, psycho.  The whole wanting to be exactly like her twin thing, as a full grown adult, was a little too much.  Although at the end she does go to therapy.
 
All in all, it was an interesting story and I could definitely see this being made into a movie for the Lifetime channel.
 
I gave this book a rating of 3.5/5.
 
My Sister's Voice will be released on May 25, 2010.
 
This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
 
About Mary Carter
 
MARY CARTER is a freelance writer and novelist. My Sister’s Voice is her fourth novel with Kensington. Her other works include: She’ll Take It, Accidentally Engaged, Sunnyside Blues, and The Honeymoon House in the best selling anthology Almost Home. She is a graduate of the American Academy of Dramatic Arts, and the National Technical Institute for the Deaf, which is part of the Rochester Institute of Technology. She has just completed A Very Maui Christmas, a new novella for Kensington that will be included in a Christmas of 2010 anthology. She is currently working on a new novel, The Pub Across the Pond, about an American woman who swears off all Irish men only to learn she’s won a pub in Ireland. Readers are welcome to visit her at marycarterbooks.com.







*FTC Disclosure: I was sent this book a part of Pump Up Your Book Promotions for a honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment