Sunday, May 23, 2010

Book Review- Shade

Last night I finished reading Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready for an Around the World Tour.

From Jeri Smith-Ready's website:

Love ties them together.

Death can't tear them apart.

Best. Birthday. Ever. At least, it was supposed to be. With Logan's band playing a critical gig and Aura's plans for an intimate after-party, Aura knows it will be the most memorable night of her boyfriend's life. She never thought it would be his last.

Logan's sudden death leaves Aura devastated. He's gone.

Well, sort of.

Like everyone born after the Shift, Aura can see and hear ghosts. This mysterious ability has always been annoying, and Aura had wanted nothing more than to figure out why the Shift happened so she can undo it. But not with Logan’s violet-hued spirit still hanging around. Because dead Logan is almost as real as ever. Almost.

It doesn't help that Aura’s new friend Zachary is so understanding—and so very alive. His support means more to Aura than she cares to admit.

As Aura's relationships with the dead and the living grow ever complicated, so do her feelings for Logan and Zachary. Each holds a piece of Aura's heart…and clues to the secret of the Shift.

I thought this book was so unique.  The premise that people born after the Shift can see ghosts is so creative!  I was hooked on the story right from the beginning.

This story brought out a lot of emotions in me.  There were times when I was saying "How can she do that when Logan has only been dead for a little while?" and then at the end, I was definitely teary eyed.

The book left on a cliffhanger.  I want more!  I want to know what happens next!  And there are still so many questions that I have--who are Aura's parents?  Why was she the first baby born after the Shift?  and a bunch more that I don't want to say so I won't spoil the story.

The sequel, Shift, comes out in May of 2011, and I can't wait to get my hands on it!

I gave this book a rating of 4/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 64
2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 46
2010 Debut Author Challenge: 17
ARC Reading Challenge 2010: 45

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

1 comment:

  1. Nice review! I am looking forward to reading this book and I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete