Monday, May 3, 2010

Book Review- Jekel Loves Hyde

I just finished reading Jekel Loves Hyde by Beth Fantaskey for an Around the World Tour.

From Goodreads:

Jill Jekel has always obeyed her parents’ rules – especially the one about never opening the mysterious, old box in her father’s office. But when her dad is murdered, and her college savings disappear, she's tempted to peek inside, as the contents might be key to a lucrative chemistry scholarship.


To better her odds, Jill enlists the help of gorgeous, brooding Tristen Hyde, who has his own dark secrets locked away. As the team of Jekel and Hyde, they recreate experiments based on the classic novel, hoping not only to win a prize, but to save Tristen’s sanity. Maybe his life. But Jill’s accidental taste of a formula unleashes her darkest nature and compels her to risk everything – even Tristen’s love – just for the thrill of being… bad.
 
I was so excited to read this book.  I just loved the premise and the play on the original story.  But after reading the book, it just leaves me sort of blah.
 
I didn't really like any of the characters.  I am one of those girls that is constantly following the rules and being called a goody-two-shoes.  But Jill just took it to another level.  And the change to her bad was girl was too radical, even knowing why she changes the way she does.  And Tristen was just okay for me.  Usually I seem to like the bad boy with the sweet side in stories, but he just didn't do it for me. 
 
The plot was okay, but I kind of feel like the ending didn't really satisfy anything.  Just how did Tristen survive what happened?  And I don't really feel like we really get to know just why and how Jill's dad died.
 
That all being said, I've heard that Beth Fantaskey's other book, Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side is great and I look forward to reading that one.
 
I gave this book a rating of 3/5.
 
Jekel Loves Hyde was released today!
 
This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 53
2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 39
ARC Reading Challenge 2010: 37

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

1 comment: