Thursday, May 27, 2010

Book Review- Something Like Fate

I finished reading Something Like Fate by Susane Colasanti for a Traveling ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

Lani and Erin are bonded for life. One thing that connects them is their fascination of fate. Lani wonders how much of our lives has already been decided and how much we can actually influence. Since the Unknown can unexpectedly change our lives forever, how much can we really control?


From the minute Lani meets Jason, she can't deny the intense connection they share. It feels like she's known him forever. She's not sure if he feels it, too. But it doesn't matter. Because Jason is Erin's boyfriend. Lani is determined to ignore her feelings for Jason, no matter how powerful they are, rather than risk hurting her best friend.


How long can Lani keep running from the boy who might be her destiny?
 
This book was just okay for me.  I just thought the whole thing seemed a little immature and I didn't feel like there was a lot of depth to it, besides the character of Blake who was gay.  And he was my favorite character.  I know a lot of other readers loved Jason, but I don't feel that we really got that far into his personality and who he really was.  And while Erin seemed a little shallow, I don't blame her for being as mad as she was (not that I condone what she did) but I feel that Lani was wrong in how she behaved with Jason while Erin was at camp.

And for some reason, the way the characters spoke bothered me.  I'm sure its  just the way a teenager would speak, but I just didn't care for it. 

It was a quick read though, and I read it in one night.  I have a feeling that teenagers would appreciate this more than I did, so I'd say give it a shot.

I gave this book a rating of 3/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 66
2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 48
ARC Reading Challenge 2010: 47

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Traveling ARC Tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment