Monday, May 24, 2010

Book Review- Immortalis Carpe Noctem

I just finished reading Immortalis Carpe Noctem by Katie Salidas for a Pump Up Your Book Virtual Book Tour.

About Immortalis Carpe Noctem

Walking back home through the badly-lit campus of UNLV, twenty-five year old Alyssa is brutally attacked by two savage men. By the time a handsome stranger intervenes, Alyssa has almost bled to death, and doesn’t even struggle as her new protector sinks his sharp teeth into her neck.

Alyssa wakes to a harsh new reality, and to a raging thirst she’s never felt before. Lysander, the sexy yet aloof man who turned her, must now teach her the way of the immortals – and with such a desirable teacher Alyssa starts to realize that her fate is not as dark as she first feared.

But, just as sparks begin to fly between the pair, Lysander is alerted that his enemies are on the move and determined to destroy them both.

Led by the cunning and ruthless, Santino Vitale, the fanatical Acta Santorum have vowed to hunt down and destroy every last immortal in God’s name, and they have the vampires of Las Vegas in their sights.

Meanwhile, after seeing that Lysander has taken a new mate, the beautiful and pitiless Kallisto, is out for revenge. Alyssa soon finds out that hell hath no fury like a vampire scorned.

This was the first book in the Immortalis series and I enjoyed it.  This book was a little darker, and not as light as the paranormal books that I tend to read, but that didn't stop me from liking it.

I really liked Alyssa.  She seemed like a real college student, and someone I probably would have been friends with.  Plus I feel like her transformation into her new life was real (well, as real as I imagine it would be.)  And I liked her relationship with Lysander.  I wasn't too sure if I liked him or not at the beginning, but he slowly grew on me.

There were some differences in this story and other vampire stories that I have read--I won't tell you what though.  But I enjoyed reading about this version.  And I enjoyed reading about how vampires in this story came to be.  It was a neat sort of mini history lesson.

Random note--I also enjoyed reading about Las Vegas.  I am going on a trip there next weekend, so there were a lot of things that I added to my "To Do" list while I am there :)

I look forward to reading the next book, Immortalis: Hunters & Prey when it comes out next year!

I gave this book a rating of 3.5/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2010 100+ Reading Challenge: 63

About Katie Salidas

The youngest of four children, Katie has always had a desire to entertain. Since, early childhood, she’s dreamed up fantastical characters and scribbled them into pages of various journals and notebooks. Taking an interest in vampires at an early age, she devoured every book, featuring those blood sucking creatures, in any genre she could find. She claims that, of all the monsters out there, vampires had always been the most interesting.

It was only natural that a love of reading about vampires, and a love of writing, turned into a desire to write her own stories. Thus, Immortalis Carpe Noctem was born.

A Las Vegas native, having grown up in the famed City of Sin, Katie loves to feature it as a recurring setting for many of her stories. You can find Katie at her blog, My Immortal Stories and Rising Sign Books.

Katie Salidas Virtual Book Tour Schedule, May 17 – 28, 2010

May 17th
Just One More Paragraph

May 18th
Cheryl’s Book Nook

May 18th
Just One More Paragraph

May 19th
Writing Daze

May 20th
Book Marketing Buzz

May 20th
Paperback Writer

May 21
The Wayfaring Writer

May 25
Readaholic

May 26
Books R Us Online

May 27
The Life and Lies of an Inanimate Object

May 28
Books R Us Online

May 28
Down Under Views



*FTC Disclosure: I was sent this book a part of Pump Up Your Book Promotions for a honest review.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the wonderful review! I am so glad you enjoyed the book.

    Have fun on your trip to Vegas! It's a fun city.

    ~Katie Salidas

    ReplyDelete