Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Book Review- Lies Beneath

Early this morning, I finished reading Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown for a Teen Book Scene Tour.

From Goodreads:

Calder White lives in the cold, clear waters of Lake Superior, the only brother in a family of murderous mermaids. To survive, Calder and his sisters prey on humans, killing them to absorb their energy. But this summer the underwater clan targets Jason Hancock out of pure revenge. They blame Hancock for their mother's death and have been waiting a long time for him to return to his family's homestead on the lake. Hancock has a fear of water, so to lure him in, Calder sets out to seduce Hancock's daughter, Lily. Easy enough—especially as Calder has lots of practice using his irresistible good looks and charm on unsuspecting girls. Only this time Calder screws everything up: he falls for Lily—just as Lily starts to suspect that there's more to the monsters-in-the-lake legends than she ever imagined. And just as his sisters are losing patience with him.

I usually have problems reading stories with guys as the main character, but I didn't really with Lies Beneath.  I think it was because it showed that Calder had emotions while still having a "guyish"ness about him (yeah I just made that word up).  Anyways, he didn't seem off-putting and cold, which is a good thing.  And I really liked Lily.  She was unique and true to herself and didn't care what anyone thought.

I think the premise of the story was interesting--that merfolk always keep their promises or at least the promises must be fullfilled.  And surprisingly, I liked that it was dark (usually I don't like stories that are too dark).  I think my one complaint is that Calder was immediately in love with Lily.  Too unrealistic!  But that's okay.  I still enjoyed the story none-the-less.

I gave this book a rating of 3.5/5.

Lies Beneath will be released on June 12, 2012.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2012 Reading Challenge 150+: 23
2012 ARC Reading Challenge: 20
2012 Debut Author Challenge: 5
2012 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 20

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Teen Book Scene.

1 comment: