Sunday, April 28, 2013

Book Review- Furious

I finished reading Furious by Jill Wolfson today on the plane back from Denver for an Around the World ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

Three high school girls become the avenging Furies of Greek legend.

We were only three angry girls, to begin with. Alix, the hot-tempered surfer chick; Stephanie, the tree-hugging activist; and me, Meg, the quiet foster kid, the one who never quite fit in. We hardly knew each other, but each of us nurtured a burning anger: at the jerks in our class, at our disappointing parents, at the whole flawed, unjust world.

We were only three angry girls, simmering uselessly in our ocean-side California town, until one day a mysterious, beautiful classmate named Ambrosia taught us what else we could be: Powerful. Deadly. Furious.


I've always loved Greek mythology and even took a couple of classes in college on the topic.  So this story intersted me right away.  Unfortunately, the writing did it in.

The writing was almost--crude.  I'm not sure if that's the word but there were things that could have been left out of the story.  And there seemed to a pretty big focus on the chest area (for example "the Double D twins".  Really?) 

The actual storyline was okay.  I think I could have gotten more into it if the writing didn't put me off.  The characters were interesting enough in themselves and I wanted to feel sorry that they were outcasts, but I just didn't.

It wasn't a horrible book, it just didn't do anything for me.

I gave this book a rating of 3/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2013 150+ Reading Challenge: 24
2013 ARC Reading Challenge: 16
2013 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 20
2013 Standalone Reading Challenge: 5

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment