Sunday, April 21, 2013

Book Review- The Rules for Disappearing

I just finished reading The Rules for Disappearing by Ashley Elston for an Around the World ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

She’s been six different people in six different places: Madeline in Ohio, Isabelle in Missouri, Olivia
in Kentucky . . . But now that she’s been transplanted to rural Louisiana, she has decided that this fake identity will be her last.

Witness Protection has taken nearly everything from her. But for now, they’ve given her a new name, Megan Rose Jones, and a horrible hair color. For the past eight months, Meg has begged her father to answer one question: What on earth did he do – or see – that landed them in this god-awful mess? Meg has just about had it with all the Suits’ rules — and her dad’s silence. If he won’t help, it’s time she got some answers for herself.

But Meg isn’t counting on Ethan Landry, an adorable Louisiana farm boy who’s too smart for his own good. He knows Meg is hiding something big. And it just might get both of them killed. As they embark on a perilous journey to free her family once and for all, Meg discovers that there’s only one rule that really matters — survival.


This book really had me hanging on.  For some reason, the idea of being in the Witness Protection Program really intrigued me.  And I've never read another book about it.  I can't imagine having to up and move your life around so quickly and so often.  I know if it were me, I would mess up and mention my old life in my new life.

I liked "Meg".  She was strong and determined to find out why her family was in the program. Yet she was still vulnerable.  And I liked Ethan.  A good ole boy.  I loved how protective he was of her so quickly (without being stalkerish) and his humor. 

One part of the mystery I kind of knew from the beginning.  But I didn't know how or why.  And the ending.   I was suspicious of him, but the note left me questioning things.  Yes, I'm not about to give everything away!

I had to check and it looks like there's an untitled second book.  Yay!  I can't wait to see just what's going to happen!

I gave this book a rating of 4.5/5.

The Rules for Disappearing will be released on May 14, 2013.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2013 150+ Reading Challenge: 22

2013 ARC Reading Challenge: 15
2013 Debut Author Challenge: 7
What's in a Name? 6 Challenge: Lost or Found
 2013 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 18

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment