Saturday, September 7, 2013

Book Review- The Infinite Moment of Us

I just finished reading The Infinite Moment of Us by Lauren Myracle.

From Goodreads:

For as long as she can remember, Wren Gray’s goal has been to please her parents. But as high
school graduation nears, so does an uncomfortable realization: Pleasing her parents once overlapped with pleasing herself, but now... not so much. Wren needs to honor her own desires, but how can she if she doesn’t even know what they are?

Charlie Parker, on the other hand, is painfully aware of his heart’s desire. A gentle boy with a troubled past, Charlie has loved Wren since the day he first saw her. But a girl like Wren would never fall for a guy like Charlie—at least not the sort of guy Charlie believes himself to be.

And yet certain things are written in the stars. And in the summer after high school, Wren and Charlie’s souls will collide. But souls are complicated, as are the bodies that house them...

Sexy, romantic, and oh-so-true to life, this is an unforgettable look at first love from one of young adult fiction’s greatest writers.


For some reason I seem to be reading a lot of books with explicit sex in them.  The other ones I didn't mind since they were labeled as new adult.  This book is labeled as young adult.  And while I get that teens are having sex and sex in a teen relationship is a reality, I don't think a young adult novel should be as graphic as this one was.  Twelve and thirteen year olds read young adult and I don't think they should be reading words that were in this book.

That  being said, I think the story would have worked if I had liked the characters more.  And on the surface I did.  Perfect girl Wren and tough-life (turn family life) Charlie.  Wren's parents were super-strict and expected her to do and think certain things.  Charlie had a rough start to life with his biological mother and foster parents but ended up in loving home.  This should have been an interesting relationship.  But it just felt flat to me and cheesy.  Wren was completely selfish.  She didn't understand when Charlie couldn't spend every last second with her because he was working or helping out with his disabled brother (who might have been my favorite character).  She also thought he should give up everything he'd worked toward (scholarship to a great college) to go to Guatemala with her.  Sel-fish!  Charlie was likeable.  Except for his friendship with the seedy girl, Starla.  He knows its toxic yet does nothing to fix it.  I get that he's protective of her but he really just needs to tell her that she needs to shape up if she wants to stay friends.

Then the ending.  Pretty much a cliffhanger.  I feel like the story just ended.  And I don't see anything that shows that there's going to be a sequel.  I did read an ARC so maybe that's the issue and in the real book there's a definite ending. 

I gave this book a rating of 2.5/5.

This book fulfills items in the following challenges:
2013 150+ Reading Challenge: 47
2013 ARC Reading Challenge: 26
2013 Young Adult Reading Challenge: 36
2013 Standalone Reading Challenge: 9

FTC Disclosure: I borrowed this book from a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment