Thursday, January 2, 2014

Book Review- The Vow

I finished reading The Vow by Jessica Martinez last night for an Around the World ARC Tour.

From Goodreads:

No one has ever believed that Mo and Annie are just friends. How can a guy and a girl really be best
friends?

Then the summer before senior year, Mo’s father loses his job, and by extension his work visa. Instantly, life for Annie and Mo crumbles. Although Mo has lived in America for most of his life, he’ll be forced to move to Jordan. The prospect of leaving his home is devastating, and returning to a world where he no longer belongs terrifies him.

Desperate to save him, Annie proposes they tell a colossal lie—that they are in love. Mo agrees because marrying Annie is the only way he can stay. Annie just wants to keep her best friend, but what happens when it becomes a choice between saving Mo and her own chance at real love?


I have to admit it:  this book took quite a while for me to get into.  I just couldn't warm up to Annie or Mo at first.  But slowly, as Reed came into the picture, I seemed to get into it more.  And the plot seemed to pick up a little bit.

It's definitely an interesting topic--the idea of marrying your best friend so he can stay in the United States.  And doing it while you're still in high school.  It all seemed a little unbelievable at first.  But the ending made it seem more reasonable.  And I got more invested in it.

(Oh and the cover made me want to read it.  It's a picture of a (cheap) wedding ring in one of those plastic bubble things that you get from a quarter toy machines at a grocery store.  When I got married, our best man brought out my wedding ring in one of those bubbles.  So I had to read the book just for that connection!)

I gave this book a rating of 3.5/5.

*FTC Disclosure: I was given this book for free for an honest review as part of the Around the World Tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment